Paramètres des cookies

Notre site utilise des cookies afin d’améliorer la qualité de votre expérience. En continuant à parcourir notre site internet, vous acceptez l’utilisation de ces derniers.


Who can book?

FMEL buildings are reserved for bachelor’s and master’s students enrolled at one of the following schools:

  • University of Lausanne (UNIL)
  • Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne (EPFL)
  • École cantonale d’art de Lausanne (cantonal school of art, ECAL)
  • School of Management and Engineering Vaud (HEIG-VD)
  • La Source School of Nursing
  • Haute Ecole de Musique de Lausanne (HEMU)
  • Haute Ecole de Santé Vaud (HESAV)
  • Haute école de travail social et de la santé Lausanne (HETSL)
  • Haute école pédagogique du canton de Vaud (HEP-VD)
  • Changins – School of Viticulture and Oenology
  • Ecole hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
  • La Manufacture – Haute école des arts de la scène
  • University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland (HES-SO)

Students enrolled in the School of French as a Foreign Language at UNIL or in the Special Mathematics Courses (CMS) at EPFL may also book accommodation. (See Applications guidelines, art. 1) Ca

However, doctoral and postgraduate students, as well as students who already have a master’s degree, are not entitled to book accommodation in FMEL buildings.

What are the terms?

The rental agreement is subject to Swiss tenancy law. Standard terms and conditions of tenancy/lease:

  • Runs for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 3 years
  • Lease starts on the 1st or 16th of the month
  • Lease ends on the 15th or last day of the month
  • 2 months’ notice to terminate the lease

Changing type of accommodation or building

After one year’s stay in one of the FMEL buildings you can request a change of accommodation, but only an upgrade – i.e. from a single room to a studio. You will have to pay an administrative fee in advance. Please refer to Internal Regulations, art. 16 and to the Applications guidelines, art. 6.

What types of accommodation are available?


Single room

Furnished room for one person including a private bathroom with toilet, shower and washbasin. Communal kitchen located on the same floor or in the building.


Shared room

Furnished room for each flatmate, equipped with a bathroom with a toilet, shower and washbasin, either private or shared by a maximum of two people. Shared kitchen (with equipment) and living room. Please note that most buildings have private bathrooms.


Studio for one person

Furnished studio for one person equipped with a kitchenette and a bathroom with toilet, shower and washbasin.


Studio for one or two people

Furnished studio for one or two students equipped with a kitchenette and a bathroom with toilet, shower and washbasin


Two-room flat

Flat with two bedrooms or one bedroom and a living room, equipped with a kitchenette with dining area, a bathroom with toilet, shower and washbasin. An ideal flat for couples.


Other accommodation

Some buildings offer other types of accommodation, such as a double room or mezzanine.

How to book

Accommodation is now allocated automatically via our computer system, according to your preferred choices.

Please create an account on our FMEL portal or  connect to your profile.

In the "Preferences" tab, you can register your choices concerning the start date of the lease, the type of accommodation required and your budget.

What’s involved in cancelling a lease?

Once signed, any lease has a contractual character. If you cancel your lease, the following terms apply:

Cancellation Period Amounts Due (incl. VAT)
More than 30 days before the start of the lease Half of the rental deposit
30 days or less before the start of the lease The entire rental deposit
After the start of the lease The due rent(s) and the rental deposit